REAL PEOPLE ROCK is a series on MYB that features hardworking, real life people who are out there every day giving life their best shot. When I look for motivation, I look to the people that surround me. And if they can do it, then I can do it. We all hold an incredible power to inspire each other with our actions. So tell us your story. Because to me, that’s inspiration at its finest.
REAL PEOPLE ROCK: the charlee, soul cycle instructor edition!
People often ask me how I drag out of bed early on weekdays after late nights out or busy weeks at work and muster the strength for in an early morning workout. The answer lies in people like Charlee, rockstar NYC SOULcycle instructor. The reason I’m willing to be seen in public before showering and makeup, walk 10 blocks to the L train, and carry around sweaty clothes all day is the same reason her classes sell out in mere minutes and there are more dudes lining up to take her class than any other workout class in the city — her classes are a thunderstorm of energy, inspiration and motivation that can truly change the course of your day, even your week. She ain’t so hard on the eyes, either! But don’t think it’s because her classes are easy!! She whoops your booty and pushes you to limits you never thought you could bust through — in short, she don’t mess!! So I thought I’d ask @c__atkins what motivates HER, along with a few other questions, so we can all understand the inner workings of all that positive energy that motivates us so much.
1. Where do you live? New York City, reppin’ downtown Manhattan :)
2. What’s your favorite way to Move Your Booty/workout/sweat? It just so happens that my favorite workout is SoulCycle, which makes what I do that much more rewarding. I am obsessed with instructors Danny Kopel (@dannykopel) and Janet Fitzgerald (@spinpimp). I know most people want me to express physically why these workouts are amazing - so to that, SoulCycle is a full-body workout where you have the opportunity to have an instructor lead you through a 45-minute musically-choreographed-sequenced class where you leave feeling successful, energized and worked! However, the true reason why I love SoulCycle is it is an experience you can’t quite put words to, because you leave with a feeling of euphoria. It’s definitely something you have to experience on your own!
3. What motivates you to move your booty? Fitness is a lifestyle. At first you have to create the habit of working out, telling yourself “…get out of bed…get off the computer…that thing you’re doing will still be there when you’re done…GO workout!” But once you create any habit (fyi, it takes 21 days to make/break a habit) it becomes engrained in your subconscious and you and your body crave that sensation. So, to me, I have suggested to myself and created the habit of working out, that is a part of me. It’s in my constitution!
4. What’s your greatest MYB accomplishment so far? My goal is constantly a work in progress towards providing a balanced fitness class: physically challenging, musically enticing, entertaining, mentally opening, and spiritually sound.
5. What’s your current MYB goal? With all the spinning that I do, I would love to attend 3 - 4 yoga classes a week.
6. What’s your favorite workout song?
7. What’s one piece of workout clothing, equipment, or accessory you couldn’t live without:
- Afrojack “Pop On Acid”
- Hyper Crush “Werk Me (Benzi and Dstar Remix)”
- Sleigh Bells “Kids”
- Diddy & Dirty Money “Ass on the Floor
8. If you could share one workout secret in the world, what would it be? Working out is a mind game, so you can pretty much talk yourself into anything. Now that piece of info can work for you or it can work against you. Next time you’re debating on working out, take responsibility for your thoughts and see if you’re really just making excuses not to work out.
9. What’s your workout style? (aka SWEATstyle) — What kind of look do you rock? My workout style is as functional as it gets. I prefer tight fitting clothes (ex: Nike Pro Combat pants) and typically just rock a sports bar - the underlying reasons being I dislike when I feel suffocated when my workout shirt or pants get too wet!
10. How does your fitness life spill over and affect the rest of your life? A quote that I read in a book, and have sinse adopted as my own mantra/quote is: “…how you do anything is how you do everything…” How much energy I put into staying fit and leading a healthy lifestyle is the same amount of energy I put into my personal relationships, my work relationships, staying educated, and contributing to LIFE!